Sleeping is a determining factor in our quality of life. A good rest means better health, eliminating potential conditions such as sleep apnea, insomnia, anxiety, and pain… One of the most common problems related to poor sleep is back pain. Here are 5 tips to avoid back pain while sleeping.
How to Avoid Back Pain While Sleeping?
- Back pain is one of the most prevalent issues due to poor sleep habits. One of these habits is not maintaining proper sleep hygiene. Many people have irregular sleep schedules, which disrupt our sleep cycles and prevent us from getting a good rest. Therefore, it is important to maintain proper sleep hygiene to ensure restful sleep.
- Habits such as taking long naps or having heavy dinners also significantly affect our sleep.
- Our daytime habits also impact our body when it comes to rest. Often, we tend to adopt postures that are not beneficial for our back, leading to nighttime pain.
- Sleeping in the fetal position is often the best way to alleviate back pain. In this position, we keep our back straight and the muscles relaxed, avoiding unnecessary tension during sleep.
- If the pain persists over time, we recommend seeking medical advice. A healthcare professional can identify possible causes of the pain and take measures to alleviate it.
An Extra Tip: Check the Condition of Your Mattress
While there are numerous potential causes of back pain, a worn-out mattress could be contributing to it. Therefore, it is advisable to take a look at your mattress and assess its condition.
You can determine if your mattress needs to be replaced by following the steps outlined in our post “Should I Replace My Mattress? Would Your Mattress Pass the ITV?” And if it does, we would be delighted to assist you in finding the mattress that best suits your needs from our catalog.